Zana's Diner

ZANA'S DINER
416 George Street
Sydney

This is a very busy time of the year and so only three of us were able to meet this evening for dinner at Zana's Diner on George Street, just a few doors up from the corner of George and Prince Streets.  Because it was so dark at 5:00 pm, I took an interior photo for you.

Decorated for Christmas!
There were people at most of the tables and people coming in for their take-out orders, so this is a quick shot.  We were very lucky to be waited on by Zana herself and her chef, Heather, both of whom called us all Sweetheart, which was nice. Here's what we ordered:

Shish Kabob Plate with lettuce and tomato

I had the Shish Kabob Plate and yes, that's real fresh-cut fries, grilled onions and peppers with squares of beef that melted on the first bite. Tasty!  That's bar-b-que sauce in the white container.  And do you know what else was nice?  Zana kept filling my mug with hot tea...gotta love that.

Two fatyres with your choice of rice, salad or fries

This is the Fatyre Plate with rice, which was very good - Zana only had spinach fatyres when we ordered, but she carries spinach, beef, and potato and cheese fatyres.

Chicken Schwarma Sandwich Plate with garlic sauce and a Greek salad

Here is the Greek salad and the Schwarma Sandwich Plate...well, I can tell you that I had a forkful of the salad and it was heavenly! There was also thick beef gravy for the fries and extra sauce for the Sandwich (made from scratch by Heather).  It was too much for one meal!

To-Die-For Baklava

Both of the Annes ordered baklava and quite frankly, I have to tell you that this was the best baklava that I've ever had. You can see that there isn't anything else on the plate - you don't need anything else. It was served warm...yummy.  And yes, that mug was refilled several times while I enjoyed my dessert.

Coconut Cream Pie, no words needed

Coconut cream pie and again, it was made by Heather from scratch and yes, it was delicious. I mean, really, just look at it.  There was no sharing with this pie.

My treat for Christmas Eve. You can place an order too!

And this is what I came home with - a dozen of Zana's beef fatyres, which I've put in my freezer for Christmas Eve.  Zana told me that they will freeze like a dream!  If they taste even half as good as they smell, Santa and I are in for a treat...

There are a few things that you need to know about Zana's - she does accept debit, but it's not set up for tips.  So do take some extra cash along so you can show her just how much you enjoyed her diner.  This is a diner, not quite as comfortable as our evening at The Olive Tree, but the food - oh yes, the food is well worth the visit.  And of course, talking to the owner and the chef while you are eating is priceless. 
Anne M.


Comments

  1. Nice to see that UAG Dines Out is adventurous in its restaurant rendezvous.

    Perhaps in the New Year and when spring arrives plans can be hatched to explore farther a-field.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Italian Buffet, Polish Hall, Whitney Pier, Again

Point of View Beggars' Banquet

Governors Pub & Eatery - not.